Wednesday 10 July 2013

Cycle Therapy

We are currently enjoying a spell of fabulous summer weather here in Manchester.  Maybe this was a factor in me arriving home rather grumpy from work yesterday, after a very unproductive day.  This wasn't helped by the fact that on one of the few days in the year when the temperature was over 70 degrees, the heaters on the train were on full blast, creating a nice sauna effect.

Gillian and I had arranged to meet for our midweek cycle in Cheadle as usual.  Just as well, as my dark mood would have sent me straight to the fridge for a cold glass of wine otherwise.  Instead, I donned my new hot pink cycling shorts (Gillian had bought them for us to go with our new tops, so I thought I had better try them out before London), filled up the Camelback with iced water, and set off.

This was my first outdoor cycle in just a t-shirt and shorts, without having to layer up, and also the first real warm weather training for Cuba we have been able to do!

It wasn't long before the bad mood of the day was a distant memory as all focus was centred on the traffic and cycling.  By the time we were out on to the country lanes of Pott Shrigley, the smile was well and truly back on my face.  Lovely quiet undulating roads, warm sunshine, gentle breeze - what's not to like?!

We did a slightly extended route, taking us just over 30 miles, and as I came over the ridge at the top of Marple the sun was red in the sky, so I could admire the sunset as I flew down the hill into the town.  Fantastic.

Arrived back to a huge plate of pasta and meatballs courtesy of Chris :D, and a bowl of ice cream.  All is well with the world again!

No comments:

Post a Comment