Sunday 14 April 2013

Back in the saddle

Following my training low I decided that the best thing to do was to start a training log, which I can then use to give myself a regular pat on the back (as long as I have done the miles!).

It is now almost 6 months to go until we leave for Cuba - 30 weeks training to be precise; 19 weeks until the London-Surrey 100 that Gillian and I have got a place in; and 2 weeks till Chris and I embark on an 80km mountain bike ride in Valencia (I think it is supposed to be a holiday!).

Realising that I had 2 weeks to get myself fit enough to tackle 80km in the Valencian hills without having to get off and push was a very good motivator both to get to the gym, and to get out on the bike.  Last Sunday we clocked up 15.5 miles on our Lyme Park route and I actually enjoyed cycling outside for the first time since last year.

Hot and sweaty me - nice!


At the gym I have upped the spin challenge - my friend and work colleague Sarah and I have been slogging it out at spin classes this week and decided that we would round off the week with the double - 2 spin classes back to back with a 15 minute stretch break in between - total 1 hour 20 mins on the bike.  I got her to take a picture of me back in the changing room to document this effort.  Not a pretty sight.  The only thing that got me out of the hot shower was the thought of last night's cold pizza leftovers that I had got for lunch!



Today Chris and I hit the road again and headed for Timperley.  No roast dinner today though - just a quick stop off for a cuppa (2 cuppas), sandwich, kitkat and chit-chat before getting back in the saddle for the return leg.  A round trip of 32 miles.  A good effort I thought, particularly given that it was very windy.  Ever the professional, I took my recovery very seriously.....



Mileage is heading in the right direction though:

Gym miles - 43.5
Road miles - 32
Total for week - 75.5

Plan for next weekend is to try Marple to Buxton via cycle route 68 which we can pick up at New Mills.  Should be tougher in terms of hills, but looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment