Sunday 2 June 2013

Clippin' Marvellous

My mission this weekend was to invest in some proper cycling shoes, as the running trainers I have been using so far are a bit too soft to cycle in for several hours over longer distances.  I decided that I would take the plunge and go for clip in pedals as well, as they have been recommended by a lot of my friends and work colleagues who cycle a lot.  They are much more efficient as you can push and pull the pedals.  They are also much more supportive with the shoes locked in to position.  Just have to get them out in time before you come to a stop!

We headed to the Evan's store at The Manchester Velodrome and were in there for about and hour and a half on Saturday morning.  I came out with shoes, pedals, a cycling top, 2 new pairs of shorts (buy 2 get one free on apparel!), grease, a weird tool that Chris picked up (I haven't developed much interest in the maintenance side of things yet, but must remedy that sometime soon), new inner tubes and a new water bottle.  There wasn't much left in the store!

Chris fitted the pedals and we spent a while with our bikes propped against the hall wall, practicing clipping in and out before advancing to the drive.  First test run was down the drive, finishing on the grass at the back, so that if I fell over it was a reasonably soft landing (not a fan of grazed elbows full of grit!).  All went well so we ventured round the block a couple of times with no mishaps.

It was agreed that we were good to go on our Sunday cycle.

Fast forward through a 75 mile ride (longest yet!) - same route as last week, but with an added section out to Jodrell Bank and Goostrey (stop off in Tatton for lunch as usual), and I am pleased to announce that the clip in pedals were a success.  :D  Only one minor mishap - I stopped when Chris wasn't expecting it, and he braked and ended up on the grass verge, but at least it was a soft landing - no lasting damage done!






No comments:

Post a Comment