Monday 9 July 2012

In a spin

I have been a member at a gym in town now for a couple of months and every Monday morning have watched the spin class taking place in the corner of the gym.  I made a pact with myself that I should give it a go as it would take me out of my comfort zone and give my training and fitness a boost.  Until this morning though I hadn't plucked up the courage to join the spinners whose legs seem to move at an inhuman rate.  Instead I have opted for the relative comfort of an upright bike and pedalled sedately for the same amount of time, marvelling at the energy of the teacher, who could quite easily be a marine.  He takes 2 classes back to back - one at 7am and the second at 7.30 with no problem at all.

Today with steely resolve I decide that I will do it.

I am pleased with my strategy to announce that I have never done a spin class before - needed to get that covered off in case I don't make it through the 30 minutes!  I then proceed to demonstrate my incompetence at not being able to adjust the bike.  Am patiently helped by the instructor who is not so scary after all.  I am instructed to turn the dial on the bike a quarter turn each time he shouts to take the resistance up, but after the 5 minute warm up I decide that an eighth of a turn is much more appropriate for me.

I am pleasantly surprised that I am able to get myself up off the bike seat and keep going for the 30 minutes.  I quietly congratulate myself, ignoring the fact that I cheated a bit on the resistance.  I am a beginner after all.

I even get a well done from the instructor, and taking my thoroughly soaked gym towel and thoroughly drained water bottle, I head back to the changing rooms in a glow of smugness for a well deserved shower, and plan what to have for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment